Friday, August 17, 2007

Hafa Adai!

Hafa adai is similar to aloha but this is not Hawaii so Guam had to come up with something better to say. When someone says it it sounds sort of like "half a day." We went around the north end of the island yesterday by Anderson Air force Base and Ritidian Point. There is a National Wildlife Refuge up at Ritidian point and some of the cleanest most beautiful beaches here in Guam. One of the guys we have meet here in Guam is a Swedish guy who has come here to Guam to study the Brown Tree Snakes. They are a poisonous snake introduced here which has taken out almost every bird on the island. There scales are a little different from other snakes and they do not have fangs. They are very skinny and the one we were handling was around 4 feet long. They have been known to eat small dogs and fully grown rats. Yesterday I saw some of the biggest waves I have ever seen but those may have been only around 8-10 feet. Not big at all compared to what you can seen during storms and on other islands. In the pictures the picture with the palms and the large hotels is Tumon Bay, it is the Waikiki of Guam. That is one of the few places that have sandy beaches, but as soon as you get in there is broken coral and lots of tropical fish. There is so much variety in lifestyles and scenery on such a small island. The island is only about 232 square miles. I would have to say that most of this island is a tropical paradise ghetto. The biggest eyesore is the junked up cars on the sides of roads and in peoples yards. "Guam Bombs" are what they call their cars that are P.O.S. New and used cars are imported here mainly from Asia and some from America and very few from Europe but there is no one exporting them or disposing of them in any way. There are probably more cars than people here and more non working cars than ones that do work. There is too much to say about this place but I have tried a few new things too. Sashimi is something new for me along with sea weed. I had two kinds of sashimi yesterday. Both yellow fin tuna but cooked in different ways. I would have never thought that raw fish could be so good. As every day goes by I add at least one more reason to my list of why I don't think I will be coming home.

1 comment:

  1. if you're really not coming home. . . can I have your bed ?
    that may not matter, cause if you're not coming home, I'll have to sell it to get $ to come visit you, unless you hit it big out there and can buy me a ticket. i'm having more fun than you can imagine knowing what an amazing time YOU are having. Keep it up!! love, y.m.

    ReplyDelete