Sunday, August 19, 2007

No Power, No Problem

So the plane hit the runway quite hard last night around 9pm for a safe arivial here in Chuuk. Quite an intresting place. Just about every car is a car I have never seen before. They are cars imported from Asia with steeringwheels on the right side of the car and are not imported into the US or Guam which is apart of the US. Woke up this morning and my fan was not on. Why, oh the power went out. No power is just one of those things that people deal with here, its apart of life. The economy is so poor and there are problems with the government and it is hard for the power company to run all the time if they can't get the recources they need to opperate the plant. Sometimes power is out for an hour others for a week. It has even been out for a whole month. My uncle sells solar pannels and lights and whatnot for those who can afford them. We still have access to clean water and some electricity with the solar energy there at the house. Here at the store which he owns there is just about always elictricity because the land lord controls the elecricity with his own genorators. Morgan is one of my little second cousins that is living here at Chuuk with Larry and Iromy. She is very cute and about to turn three. She is one of 12 grandchildren of Larry. Here is a picture of her. I will try to post as often as I can here in Chuuk but internet will be a problem. Right now I am running on 50kbps just because power is out on the island. If power were on more people could be online and the speed would be even slower than it is now. Bye for now.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Wren,
    Very nice blog, and I love your photos. Your mom gave me a heads up about what you are doing. Keep up the good work, and have a great trip!
    Natalie Hampton (Caroline's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wren'ster,

    Great Blog...I am glad you made it safe. Can't wait to follow your progress. I will pass along to Walter. We look forward to a visit at the farm when you return. I started at ASU today and have thought of your often...lots of cool stuff going on here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice blog ... so chuuk still the typical chuuk. its been what, 21 years of power problem as I can recall.

    ReplyDelete