Monday, September 24, 2007

I have been making a mental list of the things that I miss and bother me and whatnot and I thought this is a good place to write them down. The radio is a great source of background noise while driving. In the states it is very annoying listening to the radio because you must listen to twice as many commercials to music. Out here on Pohnpei there are not commercials but the music selection truly is a mix. One minute you are listening to some recently released rap song then the next minute its some old country song from the 50's followed by some reggae. It truly is a mixture. Also coffee out here is not the greatest. Sometimes you can get some good coffee but its ruined because there is no cream only coffee mate. I really miss riding my bike as well. What else? Cold weather. What seems strange is tourist season is just beginning out here where in most places it is ending. When it gets cold everywhere else its still hot here. Year round the temperatures stay in the 80's and for me that's not always a good thing. I love the cold weather and when the coldest temperature out here is maybe 75 all I can do is dream of snow. Caroline and Richie left this afternoon to go to Ace Hardware convention things in Chicago and Denver and I told them to bring back some snow. I just had this thought, so if a toilet flushes counter clockwise north of the equator and counterclockwise to the south will a toilet flush if it is placed directly on the equator? I had to buy a watch while I was in Guam. Why? Well back home I just flip open my phone to check the time but I have no phone here. The thing is I don't miss my phone either. The grocery stores are quite different, half of the labels I cant read because they are written in some Asian language. One of the few things from the US are cigarettes and for once I have something in common with a pack of smokes. We are both from NC. Their are maybe 3-4 brands sold out here but I don't see people smoking. Tobacco is one of the things people put in their betelnut and that's why they buy it. Betelnut is much grosser than anyone who dips or chews tobacco. You take a betelnut bite the end off and bite it in half. Then you rip a section of pepper leaf off and pack it inside the nut with crushed up coral or lime. Those are the basic ingredients but then most people also pack some tobacco inside the nut then they pop in in their mouth and chew. Somehow the combination of a green nut, green leaf and white coral makes red. So people spit this red juice and its gross. You can tell people who chew because their teeth are all red and sometimes missing. Its funny on the signs that say no eating no drinking they also say no betelnut. Just one of those cultural things people do here. As for other happenings in Pohnpei mommy cat never came back and I have been milking babies multiple times a day. There are only two which are still alive and I would like at least one of them to survive. Noah had his birthday party along with his first ever sleepover and he had a blast. Lots of people went out to an island yesterday. We maybe had 35 people and returning we went outside the barrier reef and the swells were huge. Surf season is starting up out here and the waves can be 10-15 feet on a normal day this time of year. Again I must think of more things to talk about. See ya later.

3 comments:

  1. You should listen to WNRN, there arent any commercials! But youre not here so you cant :( Good luck with the kittens...Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wren, Is the top photo the stem of a Betel palm (Areca catechu)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flower shots I always appreciate . Can you give them names , even the common name used by the locals. Keep you great reports coming ! Mema

    ReplyDelete