Monday, September 17, 2007

Well it has been quite a while since I have spread the island news. Where do I start? If you were waiting on my return for one reason or another I am not coming home . . . when expected. I have changed my tickets so I arrive in North Carolina on the 27th of October. As strange as it seems my trip is shorter on return. Not counting time in airports before and after flying my trip was about 25 hours to get to Guam. I leave Guam at 6am and then arrive in Raleigh at 4pm how does a 25 hour trip turn into a 10 hour one? The international date line is the only genie that can let you go back in time and somehow make time disappear. On that note I had to talk to my uncle who lives in Chuuk about the ticket to go back and visit him. They are enjoying their 7th day without power today, and when I say enjoy I mean not enjoying. I am now back in Pohnpei and my trip to Yap and Palau is now complete, I have now been there and done that. While returning from Yap we stopped in Guam and picked up some things to bring back to Pohnpei along with meeting some new people. My record of seeing rainbows in Guam every day has now ended very depressing I know but someone must have found the pot of gold. While we were there we meet some graduate students and other marine biology people at a lecture about a study this guy did about moving corals. I understood nothing about the lecture and fortunately I was not the only one. At the end I understood that you can transplant corals to other locations but that was about it. I talked to a girl who has him as a professor and she said "even if its a topic you understand somehow he will loose you." Well one thing lead to another and we ended up eating the one homemade meal of our two week trip in Guam. The guy who made us dinner seamed a little depressed that he didn't make the pasta. He made the spaghetti sauce, the bread, the salad, the salad dressing, the ice cream, the other ice cream, he made everything, everything but the pasta. Personally if someone makes that much of an effort to make all that but not make the pasta they are slacking off. So I respectfully declined the meal because he did not put enough effort into the meal. Then I got hungry and ate it. It was delicious and I didn't even taste the box in the noodles. If you believed me about our chef not putting enough effort I was just kidding, im not that mean. While our chef/designer was cooking he put parsley stems in a little cups and I had to borrow a camera to take a picture. I could just see this perfect picture. So I took it. Around his apartment he had collected just about everything you could find on the beach. One of the coolest was beach glass, so what did I do but I went out and started collecting some beach glass too. So there are a few other interesting things about Micronesia which I have learned. Did you know the state of Yap is the largest consumer of Budwiser products per capita?
So the kids in the pictures are Tayana in the first picture. Jordan (on the right) and her friend and the second and Connor in the third. Jordan is Mae's oldest and Tayana is the second oldest. Connor is just one of their cousins that lives nearby.

2 comments:

  1. So glad to get another report from you! We have been missing them! You just keep discovering new things. I can understand why you wish to stay longer. We will just have a delayed birthday celebration
    when you return--you,Jameson and I.
    Thanks for the nice post cards. You have some cute cousins!
    Love You, MeMa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wren,
    GOOD FOR YOU for staying longer..SMART ...very very SMART!
    I received your postcard today - THANK YOU... I was so happy to see personal mail in my new PO BOX!! So, are you one of those people helping them with the Budweiser consumption? We are all so happy for you.... LOVE YA MY DARLIN'..
    aunt Chris

    ReplyDelete