Thursday, July 19, 2012

A new beginning


Well I guess I am back on the web and ready to write about my lives adventures once more. A brief rundown of the past little while of my life. I wrapped up my degree in Appropriate Technology from Appalachian State a semester ahead of what I was expecting in december. For the last seven months I have been living in Boone working, skiing, hiking, tubing and honestly spending too much time thinking I needed to leave and contemplating my next real adventure.
After quite a bit of researching, planning, reading and whatever else you put into a trip I have decided I am going to Alaska and I am about to make this dream come true. Right now, I am sitting on a porch swing at seven in the morning writing this just off the ocean in Wrightsville Beach. As I slept on the couch I saw the early glow to the sun about to rise coming through the window; a minute later my shoes were on and I was out the door. As I was on the beach watching the sun raise its self from the horizon I began to realize that this sunrise, right now, is the dawning of my new journey. At 6:13am I declared this sunrise to be the first day of many on my trip to Alaska. 

At the age of fifteen I traveled to Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana with my parents, another road trip of many which we had done together. On this road trip something special was achieved, I could successfully say I had traveled to all of the contiguious 48 states of america. Through my travels to the islands in Micronesia I went to Hawaii, only for a few hours, regardless I had been there. So now, Alaska is the only state which I have not been to. Not ever been to Alaska before is the greatest reason to make this trip come true. However, there is more to this trip as well. Its a personal journey, to see the true wilds of Alaska, to see the grizzly bears and salmon spawning and to discover it by myself. It is a solo trip for me to discover the vastness of Alaska and rediscover much of the rest of America in my own time. Not very many people go that far away from home, for so long, and surrender themselves to the toils of epic road trips. Its a different kind of mindset you must put yourself in to know you will be driving tens of thousands of miles through country where you may pass through only a hand few of towns in a day. Its a weeks long journey of hard, long, driving days just to go from North Carolina just to the Alaska-Yukon border. It will be months of living out of a car, a small car, and a long time until returning home. But I think it is worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment