Sunday, July 29, 2012

Edmonton pt 1: Pysanka, McDonalds


Pysanka! 
So I am pretty sure I won the easter egg hunt for the largest easter egg in the world, or Pysanka. If you were wondering where I found it, I found it in Vegreville, Alberta. Where the hell is Vegreville? Yeah exactly. I ended up seeing this Pysanka in person but did not exactly go out of my way specifically for this. I was driving about an hour outside Edmonton and saw a sign for a Tim Horton's. Tim Horton's is is coffee shop kind of place, serving Dunkin Doughnuts like coffee not exactly the Starbucks style. Tim Horton's though puts candy in there coffee, or something similar because its quite addicting, this was the real reason I came to Canada, for Tim Horton's. Who is Tim Horton you americans may be asking yourself, well, he was a hockey player. Its kind of like if there were a sub shop called Mugsy Bugs. So I had gotten off the road to go to Tim Horton's and I go inside, order a iced coffee and I ask the lady, "can you tell me what that is that they advertise off the side of the highway, the worlds largest something." She shook her head and had no idea what I was talking about and gave me another girl to ask. "So whats that worlds largest thing they advertise," I asked her. Oh, the Pysanka, its just down this way, she told me. But wait, I just came that way, I did not see it and to my self I was thinking this must not be very large if I just drove right past it. "Oh, it might be hidden from some trees," so I went to look for it as I went back to the interstate. Well I found it, its huge, wait, why is the largest Ukrainian egg in a town of 5,000 people in Canada. Who knows, whatever.
Canola, before its in your frying pan
So I asked Paul, the couch surfer who I hosted me here in Edmonton about the Pysanka. Paul is from Vegreville so I felt that he would be the best to ask about the egg. Paul is sitting on the couch in the V.I.P. zone, this is what they call there house, mustache, curled dark hair forming into a mullet wearing a california sleeveless shirt "oh I think its a great idea" he says. "It's really good, if we could have a wave pool or an egg, I would go with the egg every time." There is a notable amount of sarcasm in his voice, he digresses and explains how he always wanted a wave pool when he was younger. 
Paul also knows a considerable amount about McDonalds. Him and his roommate Zach and friends have come up with their own sandwiches like a "McPower-play." In hokey a power play is when you have 4 vs 3 people playing, so a McPower-play 4 burger patties and 3 chickens. "And its only like $7," Zach says. Paul also explains the difference between the McChicken and the Jr. Chicken, "It's $3.50 more and the only difference is you get sesame seeds on your bun, its absurd."
 How I could sit here and keep writing I feel that I should go and drive some. Edmonton Pt. 2 to come Purple Lights, Mobile Dance party + more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment