Monday, July 23, 2012

Pound Town Found


Greetings from Anderson Indiana. Just outside Indianapolis, Anderson is an old GM manufacturing town and has turned into a partial ghost town like that of Detroit. It is quiet and rundown and was difficult to find a place open with some food, many places boarded up and vacant. Those places who are open gladly advertise that they accept food stamps. But its good to be out of the car and having a place to rest before another long day of travel tomorrow. 
I would have to say the adventures from today were mainly from the things I really did not expect to see. But thats the whole reason behind this trip. From Boone I got on 421 and headed North, went through Tennessee,  through the coal fields of South-west Virginia and Kentucky mainly on small highways. I then got on the interstate outside Winchester Kentucky. From Winchester and then Lexington, I passed miles of lovely white fenced horse fields. I then headed into the land of the blue grass towards the Ohio river and Indiana. As the sun was getting low in the sky I passed through a good portion of Indiana passing miles upon miles upon miles of corn and soy. Once I got here I realized I could have taken 421 the whole way, would have been a much longer trip though.
 However, the most interesting places I passed along the way. Slayersville, KY was one of them. Quite a nerving name but I dared to go check it out. One of the first things I saw was the partially roofless "Teen Scene" with bars on the windows. I have no idea what kind of establishment this was. Movie theater? Dance Club? Both? Interested upon the name I looked it up a little bit. It is located on the Licking river, another strange name and there are only around 2,000 people who live there. There was also a recent tornado, last year that may explain the missing roof of the notorious Teen Scene. Fortunately there was not a mass slaying here, yet unfortunate because there is no really crazy story and lots of haunted places around, just some guy named Samuel Slayer.
Also, I found another strange/interesting town. Pound Town, or the Town of Pound. Not sure why it is named what it is. We can only assume. Home of the wildcats and "The Big E-Z" they also have a Hardware Store and a super creepy mannequin inside the store with insulation on him. Other than that not much. Motoring on for 11 hours of driving to Minneapolis tomorrow.







No comments:

Post a Comment