Thursday, August 23, 2007

Hi!

Another day spent in the islands with out "island power" but there is still the solar electricity that we use. We went to two other islands in the lagoon yesterday Uman and Tonowas to check on and repair some solar panels at some LDS churches. Those islands are even more remote and 3rd world than Weno, the main island which I am on. One of the islands has very few cars, we did not see any while we were there. They also have a power plant but it has been down for the last two years. Uman on the other hand is very small and they do not have any power, any cars, nor any roads. They have muddy footpaths connecting villages. It is interesting how much attention we bring to the people there, I suppose because we are white, and I am tall. The little kids stare and the ones that can speak English ask if we are missionaries. While we were in Tonowas I was able to play some basketball with the two missionaries and some of the village kids. That was fun, interacting with some of the local kids. They were very friendly and were pretty good at basketball too. I'm trying to think of things to write about... the food in the grocery stores; I have never seen so much canned meats. Did you know that some ripe oranges have green peals? Not a very orange orange eah? And bananas are green here, but they are still ripe. Asparagus juice how gross does that sound? Ill be sure to bring one back for you dad. I know you like gross things like that. Oh and something else, that headlamp you raised your voice about and insisted me not to bring mom . . . remember that? It has come in very handy with no lights in my room when the power is off. Anyways, I am going to go enjoy the heat and humidity. Bye.

3 comments:

  1. your blog continues to be fascinating. . ! loved the pic shot from the waterline. very cool. sounds like fish is the mainstay of your diet.
    btw, mr. exaggerator: i'm quite sure I didn't 'raise my voice' about a headlamp. . . . and sounds like a good thing you have it!
    xox, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey there babe! I just got your email as I got online, and figured youd read ur comments when you finished blogging. So...have a great day in the islands, enjoy that suncat, and eat some fish for me...hahah. Yeah for sitting on babies! I miss you! oh and I think your mom was telling you about that headlamp when I was on the phone with you...haha. Wish I could hear your voice now... have fun blogging

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wren:

    You tell so much and in such an interesting way! Thank you for taking
    time to share. I have save a number of the beautiful pictures which you have sent, and have one of the coast
    from Guam on my desk top.
    M.K. and Jameson have started to school. They are in Wilmington now
    because one of their Uncle's died, husband of Rob's oldest sister.
    It continues to be very HOT and DRY for us...breaking all records, with flooding in many places in Mid
    west. Tell us about the veg. and fruits which you eat.Do they eat bread , if so ,what kind, or just eat rice ?
    Love, Me Ma

    ReplyDelete