Monday, August 27, 2007

I'm ready for cold weather




Well I can now say that I have explored the whole island. Today I went with Iromy and Morgan to Xaver High School. It is a catholic boarding school bringing students from all over the south pacific. The school is an old Japanese command center up high on a mountain with some spectacular views and one of the most remote locations. From up on the rooftop of the school you are able to see out to the outlying barrier reefs which make up the atoll. If I was to live somewhere here in Chuuk I think I would want to live there where the school is. After are departure from the school we simply went exploring. We took one road to its end going to a remote village and another which did not look like it had been driven on in years. It was a great tour of what I would consider a nicer part of the island. Other than that we had a great time sailing yesterday. With just light winds for the lagoon we were able to get some good speeds. It was a lot of fun so maybe I will take it out again soon. Well we also had some Micronesian style sashimi last night, maybe the best yet. It was marinated in lots of lime with some onion and soy sauce and it was delicious. I tried a local Tapioca also, not the best food ever but I tried it. Well plans are to go fishing this afternoon, we shall see if that happens. I sure do want to catch a 50lb fish, but that is small for out here. The tunas and sailfish, marlins and whatnot can get HUGE. When I say huge I mean huge and that means hundreds of pounds. Well time to go enjoy Chuuk, tomorrow is my last day here then I leave for Pohnpei early Wed. morning.

2 comments:

  1. Wren!
    This is Van from state. Wow, look at you, that is so awesome that you get to travel. Nice pictures dude...are you sure you dont want to be in Design school at state? haha. I never knew sashimi can be so exciting...and they put onion with their soy? I remember before I went to the mid east, I called Paul Mobley and asked for his wisdom and he said that when you travel, EAT everything, DO everything, and DONT rest. Have fun and hope you are freaking out becuase is is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Van's is a good question... Design school..?!??
    yo ma

    ReplyDelete